The French-language Université de Moncton is founded
The Université de Moncton has campuses located in the three main French-speaking regions of the province: the northwest, northeast and southeast of New Brunswick.
In 1864, Father Camille Lefebvre of the Congregation of Holy Cross founded the first Acadian college, Collège Saint-Joseph, in Memramcook, New Brunswick.
In 1890, Eudist priests founded Collège Sainte-Anne in Church Point, Nova Scotia, followed by Collège du Sacré-Cœur in Caraquet, New Brunswick, in 1899 and Collège Saint-Louis in Edmundston, New Brunswick, in 1946.
In 1963, the three existing French-language colleges—Saint-Joseph, Sacré-Cœur and Saint-Louis—suspended their charters to become affiliated colleges of the Université de Moncton.