May 27, 1871

Manitoba’s first French-language weekly newspaper, Le Métis, is published

Lawyer Joseph Royal, who bought the presses and equipment in St. Cloud, Minnesota, for $500 is the man responsible for the publication of Le Métis.

There was as yet no railroad to St. Boniface, so Joseph Royal brought all of the equipment by ox cart to Georgetown, on the Red River, and from there he transported it by boat.

In October 1881, the newspaper changed its name to Le Manitoba, which was published until July 1925.