February 3, 1898
Alberta’s first weekly French-language newspaper is published
The four-page L’Ouest canadien features local and provincial news on pages 2 and 3.
The weekly L’Ouest canadien was published with the support of the Société de la colonisation d’Edmonton, an organization founded by Father Jean-Baptiste Morin. A subscription cost one dollar a year!
Frédéric Villeneuve, a young lawyer from Quebec, was editor-in-chief and part owner. In addition to Father Morin, Villeneuve’s partners were Joseph E. Laurencelle, manager of the Jacques-Cartier Bank in Edmonton, Joseph Cartier, an accountant, and Eugène Villeneuve, a Montréal businessman.